The Chilterns Conservation Board welcomes today’s legal ruling about the Airports National Policy Statement. The ruling will throw the government’s Heathrow Airport expansion plans into doubt as they were deemed unlawful by the Court of Appeal because; “…it did not take climate commitments into account”.
We have been opposing the plans through the consultation stages as the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) is likely to be impacted by the expansion by:
- The impact of flightpaths on the tranquillity and public enjoyment of the AONB;
- The impact on air quality of the AONB;
- The impact on wildlife and habitats of the AONB, including Chilterns chalk streams and European habitats sites (Special Areas of Conservation);
- Heating of the local housing market from job growth, affecting the affordability of housing for local communities in the Chilterns; and
- Climate change impacts on the AONB
Read our latest response to the Heathrow Airport Expansion Consultation here.