Whipsnade Tree Cathedral
Founded in 1931 by Mr E K Blyth, the Whipsnade Tree Cathedral remembers those killed in the First World War.
Inspired by the construction of Liverpool Cathedral, the Tree Cathedral covers an impressive 3.82 hectares. Grass avenues are lined with many deciduous and evergreen tree and shrub species to form the chancel, nave, transepts, chapels and cloisters, all laid out in the shape of a traditional medieval cathedral.
Although the Tree Cathedral contains beautiful areas, that is not its primary significance, nor is it a garden. It is a piece of nature managed to emphasize the vigour and balance of individual plants, in patterns that create an enclosure for worship and meditation, offering heightened awareness of God’s presence and transcendence.
The Tree Cathedral is open every day of the year: 9am to 7pm from April to September and 9am to 4pm from October to March. Entry is free.
Facilities & accessibility
There are level paths through the Tree Cathedral but they are not sealed.
Dogs must be kept on a lead at all times.