The open space was used as Boxmoor Golf Course until it closed in 2011. The nine-hole golf course was founded in 1890 and the club claimed it to be the third oldest in England playing on the original course laid out during its creation.
A number of footpaths cross the hilly Common which contains a number of benches providing scenic views.
There are two paths with durable surfaces designed to carry vehicular or foot traffic crossing the Common.
The Common provides a home for wildlife and wild flowers.
A car park is available on Box Lane.