Straw plaiting workshop Workshop
Start Time11:00:00End Time16:00:00
LocationWycombe Museum, Priory Avenue, High Wycombe, HP13 6PX
Price£9 adults, £5 children and students
Come and learn the heritage skills of straw plaiting at Wycombe Museum on Sunday 23rd October 2022. Experience the working lives of women and children who plaited straw for the local hat industry in the 1800s.
There will be an introductory talk then participants will learn some simple plaiting techniques. The workshop will be led by experienced straw plaiters Veronica Main, MBE and Heather Beeson. Veronica is one of the leading plaiters in the UK, and was formerly plaiter in residence at the Wardown House Museum and Gallery in Luton. She has recently been awarded an MBE for her work with straw plait.
Timings and Details:
- There will be two workshops, 11-1 and 2-4 – please choose which session you would like upon checkout
- No need to bring anything and no previous skill/ experience required!
- Not suitable for people with allergies to straw dust
- 16 places available in each session
- Not suitable for children under 10 years of age
- Refreshments will be provided, toilets on site (+ a café on site if you fancy staying afterwards for a snack or lunch)
Cost: £9 adult; £5 children and students
Please note: There is limited parking at Wycombe Museum – please see this link for nearby parking (spaces available only a short walk away!)