HS2 - what's happening in 2013
There are some key announcements and events expected this year with regard to the Government's proposals for the HS2 high speed rail line. Only approximate dates can be given and some are dependent on the outcome of last month's judicial reviews.
- January 2013 - decisions on the five legal challenges to the proposals and process for HS2 are expected from Lord Justice Ouseley. There are likely to be appeals following the decisions.
- Early 2013 - announcement expected by government on the initial preferred route for Phase 2 of HS2 from Birmingham to Manchester and Leeds. The announcement has been delayed from autumn 2012.
- 31 January 2013 - the public consultation on the compensation scheme for property affected by the HS2 route closes.
- February 2013 - more community forums are being held.
- Spring 2013 - consultation on the draft Environmental Statement for the London - Birmingham route of HS2.
- Summer 2013 - more community forums.
- End of 2013 - depending upon the outcome of the judicial reviews, the Government plans to introduce a Hybrid Transport Bill by the end of 2013 to try and obtain Parliamentary approval for the construction of Phase 1 of HS2.