In 1771 the folly on this island was built for Sambrooke Freeman of Fawley Court as a fishing lodge. It was designed by the English architect James Wyatt at the same time as he remodelled Fawley Court.
On the island itself there are a number of trees, the most impressive being the weeping beech tree. It measures 2.5 metres in girth and has an impressive form. Weeping beeches were popular trees to plant in the Victorian period and, because of their form, were often planted in cemeteries or memorial grounds.
The folly, which is known as the Temple and gave the island its name, completes the view from the house through an avenue of lime trees which still stand.
Look at Fawley Court on the interactive map for information on some of the other trees in the grounds.
This special tree can be seen from the the Thames Path between Henley and Hambleden lock