Whiteleaf Hill in the Chilterns is well known for its butterflies, wildflowers, leafy woodlands (Giles Wood), history, geology, archaeology and spectacular views.
The views are panoramic, stretching over the old market town of Princes Risborough, across the patchwork of fields in the Vale of Aylesbury to the rolling Wessex Downs in the far distance.
The chalk hill-figure of Whiteleaf Cross has dominated the local landscape for several centuries, becoming a cultural focus associated with many aspects of local life. It was first officially noted by Francis Wise in 1742, but its full history is unknown and is the subject of much local speculation and folklore.
The First and Second World War also feature on the Hill. Whiteleaf has three examples of features thought to be practice trenches, still visible despite wind damage and woodland clearance following the 1987 gales.
Giles Wood inspired these paintings by local artists who entered their work in the 2008 Special Woods Art Competition:
The site is a nature reserve and is owned and managed by Buckinghamshire County Council.