This stained glass window is entitled 'Tree of Life'. It was designed by John Piper, a resident of Fawley, as a memorial to Anthony Hartley.
It was made by Patrick Reyntiens and installed in the vestry of St Mary's Church, Fawley, in 1978.
St Mary's churchyard also holds memories of a special tree. In 1925 a fine hollow yew tree, capable of fitting 12 people inside, was recorded in the churchyard. Sadly it no longer exists.
Project volunteer Hilary made enquiries amongst the local parishioners. One elderly resident could identify the spot, now only a slight mound under the turf near the Freeman Mausoleum, which marks the site of this huge tree.