Shardeloes House is the ancestral home of the Tyrwhitt Drake family, Lords of the Manor of Amersham. They prospered during the 16th-19th centuries as a result of advantageous marriages.
William Drake acquired the Manors of Amersham and Shardeloes in 1632 and built a house. William Drake, MP for Amersham (a descendant) rebuilt it between 1758 and 1767. Designed by architects Stiff Leadbetter/Robert Adam, later, its exterior was altered by Wyatts (1773-85). The House is made of brick, stuccoed. It has a portico of Portland stone and Corinthian columns. The surrounding park was designed by Repton between 1793-4.
During the 19th and 20th centuries the fortunes of the Tyrwhitt Drakes declined, mainly as a result of having to pay high death duties, and they had to sell off many of their properties. During World War II Shardeloes House was used as a maternity hospital for women from London and over 5000 babies were born there. It was sub-divided into flats 1959-65.
Located 1.5 miles west of Amersham overlooking the Misbourne Valley and A413
No public access to house. A footpath crosses Lower Park beside the lake and gives excellent views.