Chalk Streams Project
Led by the Chilterns Conservation Board, the Chilterns Chalk Streams Project is a partnership of statutory agencies, local authorities and voluntary bodies committed to conserving the chalk stream environment.
The Chalk Streams Project aims to conserve and enhance all major chalk streams in the Chilterns AONB and to encourage enjoyment and understanding of them. The Project achieves these aims by:
- Raising awareness of the importance of chalk streams and the need to conserve them
- Providing management advice on riverside management
- Practical conservation to improve the streams for wildlife
- Carrying out surveys to assess the quality of wildlife habitats and locate rare species
- Providing education resources for schools to help children understand the chalk stream environment
- Improving physical access to the streams where appropriate, and providing information about their special qualities
(click on the links above to see examples of the Project's work).
The Chilterns Chalk Streams Project partners are:
- Chilterns Conservation Board
- Environment Agency
- Affinity Water
- Chiltern Society
- Chiltern District Council
- Dacorum Borough Council
- Thames Water
- The Wildlife Trusts
The Project has produced an education pack for schools on the special features, wildlife and history of Chilterns chalk streams. The pack is currently being revised and will be made available online shortly. For more informaiton on this project please contact the Chilterns Conservation Board.
Read the latest annual report from the Project: